Kings repel Knicks’ comeback bid

Harry Giles III contributed a dunk and a hook shot to an eight-point run that opened the fourth quarter Monday night, and the host Sacramento Kings finally were able to pull away from the stubborn New York Knicks for a 115-108 victory.

Buddy Hield had 28 points and Harrison Barnes contributed 22 points and 10 rebounds for the Kings, who had lost three in a row, including two straight to begin a key four-game homestand.

New York’s Allonzo Trier led all scorers with 29 points.

The Kings led just 86-80 before Giles’ consecutive hoops to begin the fourth quarter opened a 10-point margin.

When Nemanja Bjelica added a tip and Corey Brewer a pair of free throws, all of a sudden, Sacramento had its biggest lead of the game at 94-80.

Consecutive hoops by Trier got the Knicks back within 100-92 with still 6:33 to play, but Hield countered with a dunk and a 3-pointer, helping the Kings hold New York at arm’s length the rest of the way.

Hield went 7-for-7 on free throws. The Kings won the game at the foul line, converting 26 of 33 while the Knicks were 18 of 28.

Hield also found time for a game-high seven assists and six rebounds.

Giles finished with 17 points, De’Aaron Fox 16 and Bogdan Bogdanovic 11 for Sacramento, which had lost to the Milwaukee Bucks and the Los Angeles Clippers earlier on the homestand.

Trier’s point total, which included 10 free throws, was his second best this season. The undrafted rookie had a 31 against the Houston Rockets in January.

Dennis Smith Jr. chipped in with 18 points, while Kevin Knox and Damyean Dotson added 11 apiece for the Knicks, who tipped off a four-day, three-game Western swing with a 128-107 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday.

New York’s Noah Vonleh led all rebounders with 13 to complement nine points.

The teams meet in a rematch Saturday in New York.

The Kings led by as many as nine in the first quarter and 11 in the second, but the Knicks wouldn’t go away.

One day after giving up 82 points in the first half to the Clippers while falling behind by 36 points, New York hung within 55-51 at halftime and was still within striking distance heading to the fourth quarter.